Monday, December 28, 2009

Poems by Michelangelo (4)

Another sonnet written for Tommaso Cavalieri in c. 1534. I love this one for the deep devotion and admiration reflected in the poet’s words.

English version :

With your beautiful eyes I see sweet light which with my blind eyes I certainly cannot see; with your feet I carry on my back a weight which my lame feet certainly could not bear.

Though lacking feathers I fly with your wings; with your mind I am always carried to heaven; on your decision turns whether I am pale or red, cold in the sun, warm in the coldest mists.

In your will alone does my will consist, my thoughts spring from your heart, which your breath are my words formed.

On my own I seem like the moon left to itself, for your eyes can see nothing whatever in the heavens except what is lit up by the sun.

Italian version :

Veggio co’ be’ vostr’ occhi un dolce lume che co’ mie ciechi già veder non posso; porto co’ vostri piedi un pondo addosso; che de’ mie zoppi non é già costume.

Volo con le vostr’ ale senza piume; col vostro ingegno al ciel sempre son mosso; dal vostro arbitrio son pallido e rosso, freddo al sol, caldo alle più fredde brume.

Nel voler vostro è sol la voglia mia, I miei pensier nel vostro cor si fanno, nel vostro fiato son le mie parole.

Come luna da sè sol par ch’io sia, chè gli occhi nostri in ciel veder non sanno se non quel tanto che n’accende il sole.

No comments:

Post a Comment